Monday, May 22, 2006

We survived 16km!

Well it's been a good long weekend and we are now feeling fully recovered from our gaming fundraiser last weekend. This week me managed to get in some of our training runs plus a fun evening out of gaming with our usual group. Was nice to play games and not have to get up every few minutes to take care of hosting duties. :)

Yesterday we did our 16km work out. It was a great day for it. The sun was shining but not too hot and we got in our work out early enough too. Mike ran his, doing 10 min run/1 min walk intervals. I believe he managed to do most of the 16km like that, with the exception of a longer walking break towards the end. I'm so proud of how well he is doing. For a non-runner prior to signing up for this, he's doing awesome!! I walked most of my 16km workout--but I did let the feet move a little faster occassionally this time and broke into a jog a few times! :) I couldn't resist! It's been tough for me a Runner---not being able to run! At about the 8km mark I started to jog for about 2 min and felt pretty good so then walked for about 4 min and then for about 4km after I would walk the first half of a kilometre and then jog the second half. Right now my body needs the longer walking break to recover and today my back is not bothering me, so that is a success. Baby steps.....they can be hard though when your brain says "let's go, let's go, let's go!!" and your body says "hey....what do you think you are doing!!??" It becomes a battle. I figure each week as I get stronger I will try to do a little bit more running or even the same (just a few km with a walk half and jog half) so that I can run more the day of the marathon. The key is taking care of my low back and building up my strength. I have to say that the jogging I managed to do though....felt GREAT!!! Sun shining and great tunes on the Ipod and a scenic lake to jog around...no wonder the feet wanted to move quickly.

This week our goal is to try to fit in all 5 of our workouts and Sunday will be up to 19km!!! Yikes. It's all good. Each week from here on out, we'll be setting new long distances records. (mine will start at 25 km in another couple of weeks).

Tomorrow is a 6km workout and then Mike's ball game in Vancouver. Hopefully it doesn't rain!

No comments: