Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Let it rain, let it rain.....

Well okay, I really only mean that figuratively. (more like Donations and Prizes for our Fundraisers---I'd like to see those keep raining on in!).

Training is going fairly well. We've even had some rain free sessions. Mike's back is holding up really well. We are both really happy about that and to Mike's surprise the other day he turns to me while we are working on a 3 min run and 1 min walk interval, and says "you know, I'm actually really starting to enjoy this!" I was thrilled to hear him say it! He's a big sports guy who has always run for a purpose...you know...to reach someone to tackle them, get ball to the goal line, round the bases to score a run; or out the back field to catch a pop fly and get someone out....not to run for distance and a good cause. In my experience most sports athletes tend to only like running if it's on a field chasing a ball! I think the fact that we are doing this together is helping Mike to enjoy it. I'm certainly enjoying having him by my side while we train and work our way up. Some days it's more of a challenge for me than others (physically), depending on how my body is doing adapting to the pounding of running again. I'm still struggling with the foot apparel, but pressing on. This week we decided to skip the "easy recovery" week on our program and press forward to the following week (to try to catch up a bit). It is the same running time but our walk(rest) time is getting shorter. We were both pleased with how well we did on Monday nights training. We did 9 intervals of 3 min/1 min (run/walk). The first 3 intervals seemed to be a challenge but then as we got going the last 6 went well and I think we both felt we could do a couple more. This is good progress. Running together helps us keep that good easy pace that we can keep talking. Nice way to catch up on the day's activities

Next week we jumpt to 5/1 splits, and hopefully that will go the same as this week...get easier as we go along. Sunday I had a bit of a set back and we had to postpone our training to Monday...my legs and feet were a little cranky. Monday I felt more up to the training. I appreciated Mike's ability to roll with it and be so open to us just switching the days we trained this week. I get frustrated when I can't do what I set out to do. By the end of Monday evening's training I was feeling stronger and my recovery time for the muscles was good.

Tomorrow night we train after work and then home to eat, and then as a reward we are off to Boone County to watch our friend Marco sing in a country singing contest....Country Idol, here he comes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Blog Waleah. I found you today looking for my cousin who sent our her mass mailing yesterday. Great Cause. I hope both Mike and you reach your goals and get to Iceland. What a great opportunity.

Thérèse (Kari's mom)