Monday, April 17, 2006

Sun Run here we come

Well 6 more days till the Vancouver Sun Run. We have entered; and Mike and I will be walking the event. We decided that we wanted to do it together so Mike will walk instead of run. It will be our training run/walk for Sunday. I think the experience will be good for Mike as he has never participated in a big race like that (when I say big... I am referring to the number of participants--usually over 40,000 some odd people). I have participated in the Sun Run 3 yrs in a row from 1999-2001 and always ran it; so it will be a different experience to go out and walk the course instead. We are contemplating whether we should try the Vancouver International Half Marathon or not in a couple of weeks. We are sure we could walk it but not sure about keeping up the steady pace for that long and consistently. We'll see what we decide. If we do it; it will be a walked event. One of my good friends Donni is planning on walking it and we may just join her.

We picked up a second GPS gadget on the weekend and it really helped me in my training session on Sunday morning. With Mike off running I have not been able to keep track of how fast I'm walking during my solo walk workout. I discovered I can keep a pretty good steady pace going. It takes me on average 9-9:48min per km. And that's with rolling terrain. On the flatter stretches I can speed up to about 8 min per km. When Mike joins me after his run and we continue to walk together we tend to slow a bit more to about 10 - 10:50 min per km pace. Which is still good as it's more about our cool down at that point. My pace seems to be on track for the training guidlines set out for walking. I'm hoping that I'll be able to finish the marathon in under 6hrs for being a walker. (I'm still hopeful to be able to run a few km here and there though come August---so maybe a little quicker??). But the Most important goals are (a) raising the funds and awareness for Diabetes and (b) completing the event and completing it healthy. The competitive side in my is setting the side goals for myself :) I'm also really looking forward to going to Iceland, seeing a different country and sharing the experience and adventure with Mike.

stay tuned.....

No comments: